To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The CTT is looking for a Software Developer with a customer driven focus and who is passionate about their craft and excited to build software. This position provides a self-motivated candidate the opportunity to demonstrate their software development skills within a cross-functional team of software engineers, civil engineers, technical writers and administrative staff to design, program, test, document, and maintain our software. We support and maintain multiple products so there are considerable opportunities for personal and professional growth. The ideal candidate is results-driven and adept at converting system requirements and specifications into sound technical solutions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Assists in the design of programs and/or systems from requirements. 2. Ensures that the specifications provided are thorough and detailed in order to avoid problems in coding development. 3. Verifies the design with system stakeholders. Makes changes as appropriate. 4. Translates program and/or system requirements into technical specifications. 5. Codes, modifies, and tests program modifications and ensures that the programs conform to technical specifications. 6. Verifies test results with stakeholders and makes modifications as appropriate. 7. Responsible for providing support in development and testing activities of other engineers. 8. Assists with end user documentation on the programs. 9. Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code. 10. Responsible for the maintenance of the completed/existing programs. 11. Provides technical support to the software end users. 12. Adheres to departmental and generally accepted industry standards, policies and procedures for system development. * Other duties as assigned. * Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work. * Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities are acquired; OR the successful completion of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar field within 4 months from hire date as a condition of employment.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Experience in writing, modifying, and testing software in a production environment. • Ability to develop desktop or web applications in C#, VB.NET or other programming languages. • Ability to learn new languages and technologies. • Familiarity with source control (e.g. TFS, GIT, SVN).
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Experience developing web applications using at least one popular framework (ASP.NET, Angular, react.js, Node.js, Bootstrap, etc) • Software development experience in Microsoft Visual Studio. • Database design experience using MSSQL server or other database systems. • Demonstrated experience with GIS Systems. • Knowledge and experience with Transportation Management Systems. • Experience writing and executing unit tests.
• Exceptional organizational skills. • Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills. • Modeling/simulation with commercially available software packages including at a minimum: GT-Suite, MultiSim, TAITherm, Matlab, Simulink, and CONVERGE • ECU control and calibration tools including at a minimum: Moto Tune / Moto Hawk and HP Tuners • CAD packages including at a minimum Solid Works and NX • Data Acquisition tools including at a minimum: Veristand, Labview, and a CAN logger • Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedures, and manuals. • Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals. • Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions with limited supervision. • Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. • Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Functional knowledge of one or more of the following: Xamarin (Android & iOS, ASP.NET (HTML5, Angular, Bootstrap), NUnit, Azure services integration, .NET Standard (2.0), or portable class libraries. • Devotion to continuing education and desire to learn new technologies. • Knowledge of Agile methods and practices.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. • The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. • The work environment is that of a typical office and/or classroom setting. • The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): None required.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable, No less than $65,000
Title of Position Supervisor
Senior Project Manager
Internal and External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
" The Center for Technology & Training (CTT) provides technology transfer, software development and research services to support agencies that manage public infrastructure. With annual funding from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Michigan Technological University (MTU), the CTT administers Michigan’s Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) and manages the development and support of software for roadway asset management, project estimating, and project management. The CTT also works under contract with other agencies to complete discrete research and service projects. For more information, please visit www.ctt.mtu.edu."
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.